Manchester-based tattoo artists have announced an appeal that will aim to raise money for families affected by last night’s terror attack at Manchester Arena.
22 have been killed and over 50 injured in a suicide bomber attack at the city centre arena following a concert on Monday 22 May.
The Manchester Tattoo Appeal encourages artists in the area to come together this Sunday 28th and Monday 29th to create tattoos in return for £50 donations from the public.
Tattooists will be solely focusing on the image of the bee to spread a collective message about solidarity and union.
Tattooist behind the campaign Sam Barber told BBC Radio 5 Live earlier today (1) that “at least 50” other artists have shown their support by getting involved, with tattooers as far as Australia coming forward to also ink their clients this weekend with what is being titled “The Manchester Bee“.
Why bees? For hundreds of years the bee has been a motif for this UK city and “[its] hard working past, specifically during the Industrial Revolution”(2).
Sam spoke to Unilad (3) about the importance of this symbol during times like these: “You will find it printed all over the city, on bridges, pavements, lampposts, bins, buildings and even in our coat of arms, and it is now seen as a proud emblem for people of Manchester. So it was the obvious choice for the tattoo and, of course, I will be wearing mine with pride!”
Searching the hashtag #ManchesterTattooAppeal can generate information about which artists and studios are taking part.
Participating studios include…
Manchester and surrounding areas:
- Studio IX (Manchester)
- This Mortal Coil (Altrincham)
- Sacred Art (Manchester)
- Spectre Tattoos (Stockport)
- Nine Owls Tattoo (Stockport)
- Blue Cardinal Tattoo (Littleborough)
- Holy Ghost Tattoo Collective (Rotherham)
- Long Time Dead Tattoo Studio (Manchester)
- Distinktive Tattoo Studio (Atherton – 25th and 30th May walk-ins)
- Manchester Ink (Manchester)
- Manchester Tattoo Emporium (Manchester)
- Rapture Tattoo (Droylsden)
- One Drop BLK Art & Tattooing Gallery (Middleton)
- Black Bones Custom Tattooing (Warrington)
- In The Skin (Oldham)
- Higgy’s Tattoo Parlour (Middleton)
- 72 Tattoo (Manchester)
- Station Ink Tattoo Studio (Swinton)
- Mad Hatter Tattoo Studio (Stockport)
- Clockwork Owl Tattoos (Stockport)
- Wild Rose Tattoos (Clayton)
- Body Candy Tattoo and Piercing (Stretford)
- Atomic Ink (Pontypool, South Wales)
- Indelible Ink (Cleveleys, Lancashire)
- Needlecraft Tattoo (Worthing – 31st May)
- Mattoos Studio (Warrington)
- The Old Smithy Tattoo Parlour (Leek)
- M.R. Tattoo Ltd (Sutton Coldfield)
- Aurora Tattoo (Lancaster)
Got a studio to add that I have missed? Comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org so I can update the page.
To everyone in and around Manchester, myself and everyone at @studioixmanchester hope you’re safe after last nights horrific events at the Manchester Arena. With the studio being so close to the arena, we are still open as usual today but surrounding roads are closed. Please be careful if you’re coming in to see us. Stay strong Manchester ❤
If artists are fully booked, remember that you can still donate in other ways (tattoo or not) – a specific Just Giving page for this tattoo campaign is now live.
This website will be updated as new information, studios and links come through.
Please follow the official Facebook page for more details.